The Last of the Garden Bounty
11/14/2009 10:06:00 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
posted by Debi
We had our first real frost this last week. That means that the remaining Summer and Autumn vegetables from our garden are just about done. I picked the remaining runner beans, an artichoke and three pumpkins today (though the pumpkins aren't fully orange yet--but I am assuming they are still ok to eat?).

We had pretty good results given that this was our first garden. Ever. And the fact that we now live so far north. We had tomatoes (though we had to ripen ALL of them indoors after the plants died), lettuce and salad greens, onions, shallots, green onions, kale, herbs, potatoes, red chard, peas, carrots, beets, radishes, strawberries, pumpkins and a zucchini. I've got loads of plans for next year. Including what and more importantly when to plant things.
Matters have been complicated ever so slightly by the fact that we now have a beautiful fence behind our garden (instead of looking straight into our neighbors backyard). However, this means that some of the afternoon sun is blocked so I have to think more about where I plant things so that they get as much sun as possible (if the weather cooperates).
Fun Stuff!
We had our first real frost this last week. That means that the remaining Summer and Autumn vegetables from our garden are just about done. I picked the remaining runner beans, an artichoke and three pumpkins today (though the pumpkins aren't fully orange yet--but I am assuming they are still ok to eat?).
We had pretty good results given that this was our first garden. Ever. And the fact that we now live so far north. We had tomatoes (though we had to ripen ALL of them indoors after the plants died), lettuce and salad greens, onions, shallots, green onions, kale, herbs, potatoes, red chard, peas, carrots, beets, radishes, strawberries, pumpkins and a zucchini. I've got loads of plans for next year. Including what and more importantly when to plant things.
Matters have been complicated ever so slightly by the fact that we now have a beautiful fence behind our garden (instead of looking straight into our neighbors backyard). However, this means that some of the afternoon sun is blocked so I have to think more about where I plant things so that they get as much sun as possible (if the weather cooperates).
Fun Stuff!


1 comments:
Gorgeous! It's hard to imagine that those little seedlings in your windowsill turned into such a bountiful harvest!
Post a Comment