Scotia, Ho!
9/09/2008 06:30:00 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
After a whirlwind tour of the States to see friends and family, Debi and I were ready to depart.
Our wonderful friends, Liliya and Allison came to take us to the airport - our suitcases were so big that they barely fit! Allison had to relinquish her seat so we could fit all four large suitcases. We're so blessed to have such amazing friends - thank you, both!
In a crazy side note, I'd been trying to sell my acoustic guitar on Craig's List, but had only received false leads (beware of people offering to pay with Cashier's Cheques or Money Orders, by the way). In the 11th hour, a young Columbia student contacted me and we arranged to meet at JFK, as she was flying in from Texas just about when Debi and I were going to be arriving at the airport.
All went well, and she seemed very happy. I'm glad - it's a great guitar, and I'd prefer someone to enjoy it.
Debi and I then went through the long process of checking-in. "Long," only because our suitcases were packed so full that they were overweight.
Ach, ja. What can y'do?
Seeing as we packed everything (pretty much) into two suitcases and a carry-on each, they were bound to be heavy. We got rid of a few more things and redistributed the weight, and the helpful and courteous crew at the Aer Lingus gate made what could've been a bad experience as pleasant as could be.
Debi was able to get a little rest on the plane, but I was too amped.
Besides, "Prince Caspian" was showing.


I'm a geek.
Yes, I know.
[Ahem]
We arrived at Dublin Airport and walked 500 miles from the gate to customs. Foof! The line was long but moved very quickly. All was handled expediently and pleasantly (take heed, "Homeland"), which was a welcome change.
We had a few hours' layover, so we enjoyed a very nice bit of tea and a suprisingly-good breakfast at a restaurant in the airport.
A quick flight later and we were on Scottish soil!
Click the links below to see full-sized images:

Prince's Park & North Bridge

The view from Prince's Park

Edinburgh Castle

Prince's Park, and Scott Monument
We spent the first night in Edinburgh at a B&B in our favorite part of town (outside the Castle, that is), in a Georgian town house, just a few blocks from Prince's Street.
LOVE this sign:

Debi slept-in the next morning, while I ran off to the Mac store to get an adaptor. I had a great walk up to Princes Street, then over both North Bridge and South Bridge; then back again, towards the Royal Mile, down through Prince's Park, past the Sir Walter Scott Monument, and back down Leith, just in time to get a cab to the Railway Station.


On the walk, I was able to take the raw footage for the movie included herewith (enjoy):
Our wonderful friends, Liliya and Allison came to take us to the airport - our suitcases were so big that they barely fit! Allison had to relinquish her seat so we could fit all four large suitcases. We're so blessed to have such amazing friends - thank you, both!
In a crazy side note, I'd been trying to sell my acoustic guitar on Craig's List, but had only received false leads (beware of people offering to pay with Cashier's Cheques or Money Orders, by the way). In the 11th hour, a young Columbia student contacted me and we arranged to meet at JFK, as she was flying in from Texas just about when Debi and I were going to be arriving at the airport.
All went well, and she seemed very happy. I'm glad - it's a great guitar, and I'd prefer someone to enjoy it.
Debi and I then went through the long process of checking-in. "Long," only because our suitcases were packed so full that they were overweight.
Ach, ja. What can y'do?
Seeing as we packed everything (pretty much) into two suitcases and a carry-on each, they were bound to be heavy. We got rid of a few more things and redistributed the weight, and the helpful and courteous crew at the Aer Lingus gate made what could've been a bad experience as pleasant as could be.
Debi was able to get a little rest on the plane, but I was too amped.
Besides, "Prince Caspian" was showing.


I'm a geek.
Yes, I know.
[Ahem]
We arrived at Dublin Airport and walked 500 miles from the gate to customs. Foof! The line was long but moved very quickly. All was handled expediently and pleasantly (take heed, "Homeland"), which was a welcome change.
We had a few hours' layover, so we enjoyed a very nice bit of tea and a suprisingly-good breakfast at a restaurant in the airport.
A quick flight later and we were on Scottish soil!
Click the links below to see full-sized images:
Prince's Park & North Bridge
The view from Prince's Park
Edinburgh Castle
Prince's Park, and Scott Monument
We spent the first night in Edinburgh at a B&B in our favorite part of town (outside the Castle, that is), in a Georgian town house, just a few blocks from Prince's Street.
LOVE this sign:
Debi slept-in the next morning, while I ran off to the Mac store to get an adaptor. I had a great walk up to Princes Street, then over both North Bridge and South Bridge; then back again, towards the Royal Mile, down through Prince's Park, past the Sir Walter Scott Monument, and back down Leith, just in time to get a cab to the Railway Station.
On the walk, I was able to take the raw footage for the movie included herewith (enjoy):


3 comments:
Loved the video! Can't wait to follow your adventures!
Hooray! You made it! I can't wait to come visit and experience that greener-than-green landscape in person. It's simply gorgeous!
David, excellent pictures. Joyce and I are looking forward to seeing you in Scotland next April.
Post a Comment