The Books and Movies of 2008

1/19/2008 01:57:00 PM Edit This 4 Comments »
We have a tradition of reading the same books (our own mini-book club)! This year Debi read more books for pleasure than any year in her adult life!!! We also saw many movies (thank you Netflix)! Here's a list of what we read and watched in 2007:

Books:
1. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories by Washington Irving
2. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thanks Bonnie for the recommendation!!)
3. The Book of Lost Tales: 2 by JRR Tolkien
4. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (we read this one in the Caribbean)
5. Beowulf translated by Burton Raffel
6. Casino Royale by Ian Fleming
7. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams (Debi's 1st time!)
8. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglass Adams
9. Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglass Adams
10. Rum: Nature's Island by Magnus Magnusson
11. The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
12. 1,000 Places to See Before you Die by Patricia Schultz
13. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (thank you Geoff!)
14. Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
15. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling (again...)
16. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling (again...)
17. Light My Way by DL Grant (again...my favorite!!!)
18. The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker (thanks Suzanne)
19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
20. Dictionary of the Khazars: A Lexicon Novel by Milorad Pavic (Debi read the female version and David read the male version)
21. Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming
22. First Steps Towards an Acting Career (random, short-lived interest...)
23. The Aeneid by Virgil
24. The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco
25. Moonraker by Ian Fleming
26. The Languages of the World by Kenneth Katzner
27. Der Alchimist (in German) by Paulo Coelho
28. The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
29. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
30. The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
31. The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
32. Spoken Here: Travels Among Threatened Languages by Mark Abley
33. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

All in all, over 13,000 pages!!!!

Movies of 2007 (in order of most recently watched):
1. Tomorrow Never Dies
2. White Christmas
3. This is Spinal Tap
4. License to Kill
5. The Living Daylights
6. Murder by Death
7. The 1900 House
8. Wings of Desire
9. A View to a Kill
10. The Knowledge of Healing
11. Never Say Never Again
12. Octopussy
13. Frontier House
14. 1776
15. Like Water for Chocolate
16. For Your Eyes Only
17. Moonraker
18. Trainspotting: Collector's Edition
19. The Spy Who Loved Me
20. The Man with the Golden Gun
21. Live and Let Die
22. Diamonds are Forever
23. On Her Magesty's Secret Service
24. Beyond the Fringe
25. The Thin Man
26. You Only Live Twice
27. Amelie
28. Thunderball
29. The Muppet Show: Season 1
30. Goldfinger
31. From Russia with Love
32. Dr. No
33. Strictly Ballroom
34. Law & Order: SVU Season 1
35. The Wire: Season 1
36. Monsoon Wedding
37. King Arthur

As you can see we have been watching all the James Bond films in order (there are quite a few!) We are almost done :)

Here's to more great books and movies in 2008!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also read the Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy and Eat, Love, Pray. Now I am reading Three Cups of Tea which I think you would like as well.
Felly

Anonymous said...

Felly...as in 2Fast2Furious, DrJupiter, Felly Shry?

Debi said...

Oh! I will have to check that one out as well! I really liked Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (hilarious)! That was one I knew I had to read soon because people would always look at me in horror when I said I hadn't read it! :) (and for good reason!) But I will check out the Three Cups of Tea from the library....I love the title!
Febi Dry

Melissa said...

I read your whole blog in one sitting. Does that count? (Don't worry, I don't expect you to read my whole blog in one sitting. Though you probably already heard about half of it this evening alone ;) )

I think it looks good! I like your template, and I LOVE your header picture! You guys take great pictures together :)

Oh and FYI, I still haven't read Hitch Hiker's Guide. Yeah I know... :o/